Brown Rice/Wheat Berry/Barley Pilaf
This is a hearty, chewy pilaf that is the perfect companion to my Lamb Shanks recipe, as it uses the pan drippings from the shanks as flavoring.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup wheat berries (I prefer Einkorn)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- soy sauce or tamari to taste
- Place stock and grains into a lidded sauce pan and heat to boiling.
- If NOT using the lamb shank pan drippings: turn down the heat and simmer until grains are cooked (30-40 minutes). Flavor with soy sauce and serve.
- If USING the lamb shank pan drippings: Turn down heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the grains are "al dente" — not completed cooked. Set aside until lamb shanks are done.
- Remove lamb shanks from their pan and set aside. Add some water to the drippings and deglaze. Add in the pilaf and stir well. Place shanks on top of rice, add a little water if needed and cook for about 10 minutes, until pilaf is hot and cooked. Serve.