This is a very simple yet satisfying side dish that can be eaten with breakfast or as a side dish with other meals. It’s also the perfect camping or backpacking recipe, as the ingredients can be easily packed and do not need to be refrigerated.
This smells wonderful when cooking and tastes even better!
Potatoes with Peppers and Onions
- 2 large russet potatoes unpeeled, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large bell pepper red or green, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large yellow onion cut into 1" pieces
- olive oil about 3 TB or so
- 1 tsp HF Secret Ingredient or to taste
- [Optional] Cook potatoes in salted boiling water for about 2 minutes. This will remove some of the sticky starch that would otherwise make the potatoes stick to your skillet. It also speeds up the cooking process. This step can be skipped, but just know the potatoes will stick more to the skillet. Drain and rinse potatoes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet, then add peppers, onion and potatoes. Sprinkle liberally with Herban Farmer's Secret Ingredient and sauté until the vegetables are soft and browning nicely, about 20-25 minutes if you've parboiled the potatoes, about 30 minutes if not. You can add about 1/4 c of water and cover at this point to deglaze the pan.
- If adding ham or cheese, that can be done at the end. Serve hot and enjoy!