Rich and flavorful with a variety of textures: this is one delicious soup that you'll never find in a can, or at Panera.
Servings: 6 peeps
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin preferred
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs beef chuck (or pork) cut into small chunks
- 2 lbs sauerkraut deli counter or homemade
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water or stock
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms (reconstituted)
- lemon juice & honey to taste
- salt & pepper to taste (or my Secret Ingredient)
- Sauté onion in olive oil. As it softens, add meat and sauté until brown.
- Add sauerkraut, water or stock, mushrooms and tomato sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Add lemon juice (about 1 tbsp or so), honey, salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 30 minutes or so to merge flavors.
- Serve nice & hot with a good crusty bread.