I could eat Caesar Salad every day! People think the recipe is too much work, but it’s really not. You can make a bottle of the dressing and use it over the course of several days. Pre-grate fresh parmesan, keep some croutons in the pantry or fridge, and then it just comes down to washing and tearing up the lettuce. Hey, that can be done in advance too!
When I’m planning this salad with a meal, I put the washed and torn lettuce in a bowl in the morning and place a wet paper towel over the top to keep the lettuce moist. Then I put small bowls of grated parmesan and croutons on top of the paper towel. When it’s dinner time, all I need to do is remove them from the fridge, remove the paper towel and dump in the cheese and croutons. Toss with the dressing just before serving.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup vinegar, red wine or apple cider
- 1/4 cup lime juice, fresh
- ? anchovy paste (or Vietnamese fish sauce) to taste
- 1 egg yolk stirred
- 1 TB worchestershire sauce
- 1 sm head Romain lettuce washed, dried & torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup croutons
- ? ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in a jar and put in the fridge to thicken and flavors meld. Can be made days before.
- Place lettuce in bottom of a large bowl. This can be covered with a damp paper towel and kept in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Remove dressing from fridge about 15 minutes ahead of time to soften (olive oil gets thick in the fridge).
- Just before serving, remove lettuce from fridge and add parmesan, croutons and ground pepper. Shake dressing well, pour about 1/4 over salad ingredients, and toss.
- Store leftover dressing in the fridge.