Potato Kale Soup
This hearty soup is full of those end-of-the-season ingredients that can withstand a little chill in the garden. Add a little bread or biscuits on the side and you'll have a stick-to-your-ribs meal that's healthy and satisfying. This also freezes really well.
Servings: 2 quarts
- 1 lb Kielbasa Sausage cut into 1/2" slices and halved
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups leek whites washed and chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 russet potatoes cubed
- 8 kale leaves stems removed and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp sage chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream, half&half or milk kefir (optional)
- Brown sliced kielbasa in olive oil; add leeks and garlic and sauté until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add kale, celery, potatoes, herbs and stock. Cover and simmer until potatoes soften, about 30 minutes. Flavor with salt and pepper.
- If adding the dairy, wait until ready to serve, then stir dairy into the soup and serve.