Salad, chopped, a hearty meal
Base of salad is a heathy mixture of lettuce (Iceberg is low nutrition, go for Romaine or spring salad mixes); spinach; any greens you have on hand such as Mustard Greens, Kale, Chard; all torn into bite-size pieces.
Extras such as tomato chunks, cucumber, avocado, carrots, peppers, radishes, sprouts, green onions, leftover cooked or raw veggies such as zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, green beans, brussels sprouts; corn; any other beans or veggies; chow mein noodles; nuts such as almonds, cashews or pinion; sunflower seeds.
A protein if you're so inclined, such as leftover cooked meats; fish such as salmon, tuna, shrimp; hard-boiled eggs; cut up cold-cuts. If you're vegan, tofu works.
Cheese if you want: chopped or shredded cheddar or feta are great; freshly grated parmesan is hard to beat as well.
Croutons if available, or make your own: Sauté stale bread in a butter/olive oil mixture. Add salt, pepper & garlic. Cook until crisp. If you have some Chinese noodles, these are great too.
Herbs are a great addition. If you have scraps of dill, parsley, oregano, thyme etc., chop & throw them in.
Get Creative! If there's anything else in the fridge that is a leftover and you like it, it may just work out fine in your big salad.
- Several cups Mixed greens, torn
- Two cups Mixed fresh vegetables Your choice, see above
- One cup more Vegetables Any cooked leftovers?
- One cup Protein Your choice, see above
- 1/2 cup Herbs Your choice, see above
- Place all ingredients into a big bowl and toss with your favorite dressing, or just mix in some olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and herbs and seasonings of your choice.
- Serve and enjoy.