This is a healthy and hearty soup loaded with flavor. If you soak (sprout) the beans for 8-24 hours before cooking they will be easier on your stomach and more nutritious (enzyme and antioxident rich). The soup thickens and tastes even better the next day and freezes very well.
P.S. This goes great with einkorn kefir (buttermilk) biscuits.
Cottage Bean Soup
- 1.5 to 2 cups mixed beans/legumes/barley Soak for 8-24 hours before cooking
- 3 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 ham steak diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 oz green chilis Can use canned, fresh is better.
- 16 oz stewed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cover bean mix with filtered water and soak over night or up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- In a large soup pot, add bean mix, stock and the bay leaf. Simmer until beans are tender (2-3 hours, depending on how long you soaked them first).
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until vegetables are tender and soup is desired consistency. Add salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!