Beet Kvas - no whey!
A carbonated salty-sour-yet-sweet beverage that can be considered a tonic, or cleansing... or just plain delicious! This will ferment just fine without the whey called for in other recipes.
Servings: 1 quarts (roughly)
- 3-4 beets a generous medium size
- 1-1/2 quarts water filtered
- 1 TB sea salt (or a little more if you like)
- 1-2 cloves garlic Optional
- Wash beet roots to remove any dirt but don't overdo it, you don't want to remove all the good (lactobacillus) bacteria.
- Chop into, roughly, 1" chunks.
- Add beets to a half gallon jar.
- Add 1 TB sea salt.
- Add filtered water to within 1/2" below lip.
- Cover with lid and write the date on the jar with a Sharpie.
- Allow to ferment, out of direct sunlight, for 1-1/2 weeks or more.
- When done, this can be strained, or just serve right out of the jar, chunks and all. Enjoy!
Don't drink this if it smells or looks bad or has mold growing in or on it. Natural fermentation can sometimes go wrong, so be smart! My beets sometimes turn almost black, but there is nothing wrong with them and the kvas smells sweet and earthy. Delicious! The Kvas could become syrupy towards the bottom of the jar. Just mix it back in before consuming.