Rich and flavorful with a variety of textures: this is one delicious soup that you'll never find in a can, or at Panera.
Servings: 6 peeps
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin preferred
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs beef chuck (or pork) cut into small chunks
- 2 lbs sauerkraut deli counter or homemade
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water or stock
- 1/3 cup dried mushrooms (reconstituted)
- lemon juice & honey to taste
- salt & pepper to taste (or my Secret Ingredient)
Sauté onion in olive oil. As it softens, add meat and sauté until brown.
Add sauerkraut, water or stock, mushrooms and tomato sauce and simmer for 30 minutes. Add lemon juice (about 1 tbsp or so), honey, salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 30 minutes or so to merge flavors.
Serve nice & hot with a good crusty bread.