Mushroom Barley Soup
You can make this with out without the beef. Either way it is hearty, delicious and nutritious!
Soup Base Ingredients
- One chopped onion, 2-3 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, 1-2 pressed garlic cloves
- 1/-2 to 1 lb chopped leftover or fresh steak optional
- 4-6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 c pearled barley
- parsley, bay leaf, oregano optional
- 1/2 c sherry or red wine optional
- 4-8 cups stock (beef or vegetable) Amount depends on how much soup you want.
If you are using raw beef, sauté cut up meat in olive oil. If you are using cooked beef, you can sauté it with base vegetables. When the vegetables soften, you can add the stock.
Add the barley and cook for 20-30 minutes, until they soften. Add mushrooms, wine, herbs and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
Serve with some good crusty buttered bread. Yum!